Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My doll house was green and white. Large green windows and door with picket fence white walls. There was a pink bed in it and a tiny shelf that was my larder. There I kept everything that the famous five ate while they , spread out on heather, planned breathlessly exciting ways to catch smugglers and the many others who were no match for four kids and a waggy tail dog. If the Famous Five had their sea ,island and castle, I had my own pond and secret shed. Ponds have their adventure stories too!

So I had lemonade and ice, my mothers lemon tarts, cookies of ginger, oats, jam, scones with huge chunks of disappearing butter, plenty of plum jam and as many Enid Blyton books as I could fit into the space between the bed and the window.

In that tiny house, sunlight and candle flame and the endless thrill of possibility, of adventure, of magic lit up my childhood.

..............( to be contd.)

6 comments:

Jellicles said...

so bizarre, i just wrote about my enid blyton childhood elsewhere. i'll mail it to you.

famous five was my favourite too. today, i dream of picnics all the time and any place with a patch of green is good enough for tea and scones as far as i am concerned. altho' i have to say that i was a tad greedy for some of the mallory towers girls' home food too.

Yasmine Claire said...

me too! loved EB's school stories too! BTW got your letter and will put it to use :)

Me said...

Tell us more :)

Anonymous said...

Hey..remember our adventure series suspiciously like Enid Blyton..that we wrote in 5th grade?

But I wonder if I developed my food addiction from reading her or is it a chicken and egg thing

Anonymous said...

To clarify my chicken and egg analogy..did my already nascent foodaholism gain in intensity on reading enid blyton or was it the other way round

:)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.